Thursday, December 25, 2008

"A poor man will do any damn thing", a quote from Jim the machinist, now gone to his reward. I struck me as funny, and probably because it's more or less true. After buying, trading for, and other wise obtaining various machines and gadgets, I see an archeology of attempts to repair and refurbish and just plain get the last mile out of the poor thing, and don't forget saving the money. Jim came from southern Virginia where money was scarce in his boyhood, time more plentiful, and tinkering in great supply. My background not being very different, I and the great fraternity and sisterhood of Hillybilly Technologists, find ourselves arriving at what Brother Gordon calls Evolutionary Convergence, ie. give us a bit of string, a rock and an Appropriate stick from the ground and all can be set right in a way that naturally gravitates to the conclusion that is suggested by the extent circumstances.

In my 12 years run of full time repair, welding, manufacturing( typically one-off and small runs) and fabrication in my own shop, and 17 more years in U.S. govt. shops, everyday is a new adventure, or struggle, to make it work, or just make it. So, as I recall or divine new tricks and means I'll add one now and then. I would also be glad to review and add contributions from readers who are still smiling about a victory over the forces of rust, twisting, stripping, wear, bad design ( a really tough category!) unsavory previous attempts by the heathens ( perhaps the worse case), and breakage. So grab your string, rock and stick and we'll meet at the point of convergence. Jon

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great idea for a blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Dad! good to see you on the blogosphere. I need to update mine soon, now that I'm an emancipated woman with all this free time.

    ReplyDelete